July 21, 2010

Photography?

If you've been following along over the past few weeks, you might have noticed that I've been trying hard to take quality pictures and include a few from places we visit. In December or January, the travel shots will be replaced by baby photography.

My photography, if you can call it that, is still in its beginner phases. I like to think that I'm getting better every week as I keep finding new things to shoot, but I still have a long way to go while I learn more about the fundamentals. My brother, Jered [link], has the right idea. Hopefully, I can catch up.

All of this started when Jessica's parents generously gave me my first Digital SLR camera a couple of years ago, but I really only began this spring. My whole family uses Nikon system of equipment, and I got added to the list. I, like my brother, use the Nikon D80.

If you were wondering, just about all of my shots so far have been taken with my 50mm fixed lens, affectionately called the "nifty fifty."


As we creep into the end of 2010, I hope you can see a difference in the quality of my work.

---

Fundamentals

Below are some of the many concepts that I'm still trying to learn. Basic to my photographer friends, but a foreign language to me.

1.) Technical
  • ISO (sensitivity to lighting)
  • Aperture (depth of field)
  • Shutter Speed and more
2.) Composition
  • Subject Framing
  • Angles
  • Dynamics and much more
3.) Post-processing (Editing)

There's so much to learn and practice that it's head spinning. It turns out you just can't point, shoot, and expect it to turn out like a magazine ad. Who knew?

---

Friends

While I'm talking about it, here are some links to my own friends:

But if you're ever in need of professional work, don't hesitate to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment