What's that? It's already December? That means two things: Ezra's first birthday is right around the corner and Christmas is too. We picked our Christmas tree, wreath, and started putting up decorations (see later in this post). More pictures to come this weekend once we get it all set up.
We're trying to start new family traditions for this time of the year, and to start, Jessica made our first Advent calendar for Ezra in the form of scrapbook paper turned into envelopes (so crafty). Inside each numbered envelope is an activity for our family and an easy memory verse. The "calendar" is hung up underneath our kitchen island counter by ribbon and mini clothes pins--just high enough out of Ezra's grasp but close enough to draw interest. What kind of traditions did you have growing up and what new things do you do now? We hope our example encourages you to start some of your own.
Our Family Advent Calendar
1) Make a paper chain.
Ephesians 6:1 -- Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
2) Popcorn and a Christmas movie.
John 10:11 -- I am the good shepherd.
3) Have a cookie decorating party with friends.
Psalm 138:1 -- I will praise thee with my whole heart.
4) Put up Christmas decorations.
Luke 6:31 -- Do to others as you would have them do to you.
5) Set up the Nativity.
Psalm 136:1 -- Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.
6) Write a letter to Santa.
Philippians 4:4 -- Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
7) Go to the library and pick out new Christmas books.
Philippians 4:13 -- I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.
8) Read a new Christmas book.
Psalm 119:105 -- Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
9) Pick out our Christmas tree.
Psalm 118:24 -- This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
10) Ride on the Santa train.
James 1:17 -- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above.
11) Attend the Christmas musical at Good Hope Baptist Church.
Matthew 28:20 -- I am always with you.
12) Decorate the Christmas tree.
Psalm 56:3 -- What time I am afraid, I will trust in you.
13) Make hand print reindeer.
I John 3:23 -- Love one another.
14) Dance to Christmas music.
Ephesians 4:32 -- Be kind to one another.
15) Make hand print tree ornaments.
Acts 16:31 -- Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.
16) Buy food to donate to the food pantry.
Matthew 5:14 -- You are the light of the world.
17) Go caroling with Good Hope Baptist Church.
Romans 3:23 -- All people have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
18) Make a Christmas card for someone you love.
Colossians 3:20 -- Children, obey your parents in all things.
19) Wrap hand print ornaments to give to your grandparents.
Psalm 145:9 -- The Lord is good to all.
20) Wrap Christmas presents.
Romans 10:13 -- Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
21) Open your new Christmas ornament.
Proverbs 3:5 -- Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
22) Have a picnic dinner in front of the tree.
I John 5:3 -- This is love for God: to obey His commandments.
23) Drink hot chocolate while driving around looking at Christmas lights.
Colossians 3:16 -- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.
24) Read The Night Before Christmas.
Psalm 150:6 -- Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
25) Read the story of the birth of Jesus.
Hebrews 13:8 -- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
The Christmas Tree: It Begins