January 20, 2011

Humility and Earnest Industry

Rule 3: Be humble.
Rule 9: Hard work and a good attitude will take you a long way.

A two-for-one special, but they just go so well together. These rules apply perfectly to the workplace but should be extended to everything else in life. Unfortunately today, some link the character of humility with weakness. It is also true that there are many people who get to the top with arrogance, aggression, and even with an overall poor attitude. I can't even imagine how lonely of a world it is up there.

In reality, humility is powerful submission. It can build infinitely more than it will ever take down. It is the mark of a true gentleman, and it builds reputation the right way in the sight of those who matter most.

In everything I do (that has any real meaning or significance) I give 100% and find ways to be passionate about what I'm doing because my work and attitude is my testimony--a reflection of who I am and Whom I serve. Ultimately, humility and hard work are Biblical commands, and they're required. The volume of passages about humility is huge, but I'll end on a couple favorites.

And whosoever exalts himself will be humbled, 
and he who humbles himself will be exalted. -- Matthew 23:12

...Jesus called the Twelve and said, 
"If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, 
and the servant of all." -- Mark 9:35
  
But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, 
for My power is made perfect in weakness." 
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, 
so that Christ's power may rest on me. -- II Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment